English / Korean      
  Immigration Column
  Immigrate an Adopted or Prospective Adopted Child to Become a U.S. Citizen or U.S. Permanent Resident
  Poster : admin     Date : 12-10-08 11:22     Hit : 9209    
There are three different ways to immigrate an adoptive child from overseas to become a lawful permanent resident or to become a U.S. citizen.
The first way is through the Hague Adoption Convention program. The Hague Adoption Convention became effective for the United States on April 1, 2008, and created a new process for immigrating adoptive children who reside in countries that are also party to the Hague Adoption Convention. A Hague Convention adoption requires filing of a Form I-800A, Application for Determination of Suitability to Adopt a Child from a Convention Country, and Form I-800, Petition to Classify Convention Adoptee as an Immediate Relative.
The second way is through the orphan adoption program. This requires filing Form I-600A, Application for Advance Processing of Orphan Petition, and Form I-600, Petition to Classify Orphan as an Immediate Relative. The orphan adoption program is not available if the adoptive child is from a Hague Adoption Convention country.
Because of the many distinctions in these adoption methods, U.S. citizens who are interested in adopting a child from another country should first decide on a specific country from which to adopt. To view a list of countries that participate in the Hague Adoption Convention, please see the USCIS website at www.uscis.gov.
The third way is through immediate relative processing by filing Form I-130, Petition for an Alien Relative.
The three methods to immigrate an adoptive child are separate and distinct and cannot be combined.

Total 5
Num Subject Poster Date Hit
5 Apply for U.S. Citizenship admin 10-08 9207
4 Form I-9, Employment Eligibility Verification admin 10-08 9254
3 Immigrate Fiancé(e) to Become a U.S. Permanent Resident admin 10-08 9258
2 Immigrate an Adopted or Prospective Adopted Child to Become … admin 10-08 9210
1 Sponsor an Employee for U.S. Permanent Resident Status admin 10-08 9112
East West Law Group
660 S. Figueroa St. Suite 1200
Los Angeles, CA 90017
Tel. 1-213-387-3630
Fax. 1-213-863-6332

The information on this website is for general information purposes only. Nothing on this site should be taken as legal advice for any individual case or situation. This information is not intended to create, and receipt or viewing does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship.
Copyright 2012 East West Law Group All rights Reserved.